Website American College of Chest Physicians
Global leader in chest medicine
The Director of Philanthropy and Advancement ensures that philanthropic efforts extend and propel the mission of CHEST—crushing lung disease—through the raising and allocation of funds that have the highest likelihood of improving care across pulmonary, critical care, and sleep medicine.
The Director must be a proven development professional who is energized by the opportunity to grow a strategic, creative, and effective development program. This role is the principal fundraiser for CHEST. Integrated across the senior staff, other departments, and a key partner to the Foundation Advisory Board of volunteer leaders. This role is responsible for advancing the mission by driving effective fundraising and championing a measurable and sustainable giving program. They will represent CHEST philanthropy in external settings and partner with others to help advance a culture of philanthropy within CHEST.
The Director focuses on long-range strategic plan priorities, seeking to raise multi-year commitments when possible and communicates a broad vision to others. The Director ensures compliance with all gift-related policies, procedures, and ethics, as defined by the Association for Fundraising Professionals. The Director of Philanthropy is supervised by the Chief of Staff to the CEO, supervises the Philanthropy Specialist, and is a partner and liaison to the Foundation Advisory Board.
1. Demonstrate a passion for crushing lung disease and embody CHEST values: honor the team, lead with integrity, leverage passion, cultivate innovation, and have serious fun.
2. Create, execute, and evaluate CHEST’s philanthropy strategy through partnering with the CEO, Chief of Staff, senior staff and Foundation Advisory Board leadership to develop, maintain, measure, and report on CHEST’s giving strategy. Create an operations plan and ensure the integration of philanthropy into organizational goal setting, budgeting, and communications, and position the philanthropy program to extend the organization’s goals.
3. Strategize, guide, and sustain major fundraising campaigns, including the identification, research, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of prospects and donors. Work collaboratively with leaders and staff to identify high-potential donors and prospects, make assignments, and develop and implement customized strategies for individual engagement and stewardship.
4. Create and manage a comprehensive operations plan to execute on giving and fundraising strategies and communicate progress with stakeholders on an ongoing basis. Prioritize and execute strategies/tactics to meet fundraising goals.
5. Partner with CHEST’s Development team to draft proposals and complete agreements for philanthropic programs. Coordinate with the Development team to maintain corporate foundation relationships and assess fit of funding opportunities identified with Development for fit within the giving strategy.
6. Ensure and oversee the accurate and complete records of all contributions and ensure effective donor/sponsor stewardship practices. Partner with IT and Finance teams to ensure accurate and timely management and updates within the donor management system (Salesforce). Partner with Communications to ensure the cohesive development and availability of materials and communications to support stewardship activities.
7. Engage Communications, Marketing, and Membership in understanding fundraising and philanthropic goals and enable the creation of effective integrated campaigns and activities. Provide knowledge on target segments, motivations, and interests; join the team in developing strategies, reviewing results, and creating iterations.
8. Support and oversee the stewardship of all grant recipients and collate outcomes of funded projects. Maintain and grow relationships so that former recipients become future donors and champions.
9. Develop fundraising event strategies with Communications and Meetings teams. Communicate business case and focus for the purpose and positioning of all events. Work with Development to secure sponsorship. Lead the cultivation of donor or other relationships to be strengthened through the strategy.
10. Partner with Advocacy and Education teams to build and maintain relationships with patient advocacy groups, sister societies, and foundations to identify opportunities for collaboration and partnership.
11. Ensure compliance with all internal/external rules and regulations, as well as contracting, budgetary and fiscal expectations, related to fundraising.
12. Monitor revenue and manage expenses within the philanthropy budget. Contribute to the preparation of the annual operating budgets, periodic financial reports, routine pipeline updates, board materials, and other reports, in collaboration with the Chief of Staff and senior staff.
13. Manage and supervise the daily responsibilities of the Philanthropy Specialist.
1. Participate in development and maintenance of fundraising policies and SOPs, ensuring compliance with established code for interactions with industry.
2. Complete other tasks and projects as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
1. Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or advanced certification/Certificate in Professional Fundraising preferred.
2. 5+ years of progressive experience in corporate and individual fundraising with a medical association or healthcare non-profit; 2+ years leading cross-functional teams
3. Demonstrated ability to build a culture of philanthropy within an organization and to enthusiastically and successfully engage in one-on-one solicitation and ongoing donor stewardship.
4. Comfortable in a wide range of philanthropic work, including solicitation and stewardship of individual, foundation, and corporate donors, donors and potential donor cultivation and research, grant writing, and special events. Ability to speak comfortably and dynamically before groups of all sizes relaying the mission and vision of CHEST through cohesive and compelling narratives.
5. Expert knowledge of current and evolving trends in major gifts giving and solicitation and fundraising campaigns. Proven success in asking for and closing major gifts. Building and maintaining long-term relationships with major individual donors, foundations, and corporations.
6. A successful track record in executing on strategy, setting priorities, managing multiple projects, and working effectively under pressure to achieve individual and organizational goals.
7. Highly organized, detail-oriented, reliable, and flexible; thrives in a fast-paced environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity, finds solutions, and is able to think strategically about the organization.
8. A consummate team player with a flexible, collaborative, and creative approach who can lead, empower teammates to contribute their best and with the ability to coordinate activities across CHEST organizational departments, such as Finance, Information Technology, Marketing, Membership, and Communications, and Event Planning and Management.
9. Strong analytic and strategic thinking skills with a demonstrated ability to create, implement, and monitor complex plans and translate those plans into concrete strategies and tactics.
10. Competency in proposal development, financial management, and Salesforce.
11. Experience working with board members (physicians), industry, and non-endemic funders.
12. Outstanding verbal and written skills.
13. Competent in the use of the Microsoft suite of software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Social Media. Experience in use of fundraising software.
14. Understanding of the complex healthcare environment.
15. Ability to accommodate 25%-35% travel
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.