Website Family Focus
Family Focus invests in strengthening families and Children
Title: Director of Development
Department: External Relations
Supervisor: Erin Walton
Main Location: Central Office
Job Category: Executive/Senior Level Officials and Managers
Work Status: Salary
Classification: Regular Staff
Family Focus invests in strengthening families and their children in Chicago and NE Illinois, so they build social capital and achieve upward economic mobility through high-quality, innovative programs and services grounded in anti-racism and social justice. We are committed to ensuring our centers provide exemplary services with innovative programs and that family support principles are integrated into every aspect of the work.
Family Focus has 11 direct service centers that serve more than 20,000 children and family members annually with a budget of more than $26 million, of which 8% is private contributions. Please visit Family-Focus.org to learn more.
The Director of Development, in collaboration with the SVP, External Relations, will set a vision for revenue growth, building, and executing a multi-year fundraising plan that aligns with the organization’s overall strategic plan and priorities. The Director of Development will ensure the fundraising plan reflects a diverse portfolio to include individual giving, annual appeals, special events and corporate sponsorships. The Director of Development supervises the Development Associate position and functions as a key member of the organization’s management and leadership teams.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
• Develop, implement, and maintain an individual donor strategy including the identification, management, cultivation, and solicitation of individual donors with specific focus on donor acquisitions and stewardship.
• Responsible for meeting and/or exceeding annual fundraising goals as established in the strategic plan.
• Cultivate and steward relationships with individuals, businesses, and corporations to solicit financial and in-kind contributions.
• Responsible for the implementation of appeal letter campaigns, including the annual year-end appeal and all other fundraising initiatives and communications as identified.
• Accountable for analytical measurement of appeals, campaigns and activities, measuring effectiveness and ROI ensuring the best use of development resources.
• Oversee the design, development, and dissemination of print and digital communications of appeals, newsletters, invitations, brochures, and all other stewardship materials.
• Establish external relationships that will yield financial support to Family Focus. This includes attending networking events, other NPO events, AFP workshops and other external opportunities to continuously introduce people to Family Focus
• Prepare regular reports on progress related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities, providing relevant data analysis.
• Lead the planning and full execution of the signature annual dinner including corporate and individual solicitations, program, collateral materials, slideshow, silent auction, video presentations and general logistics.
• Oversee vendors and venue relations for signature event; manage contract approvals and requirements, invoicing, and payments.
• Coordinate with and support the Board of Directors and other stakeholders in soliciting event sponsors and managing solicitation lists and methods.
• Ensure proper and accurate donor recognition, in all print and digital event materials.
• Lead small organization-wide events and consult with local centers regarding fundraising activities and other special events.
• Attend local auxiliary board meetings as needed to assist in event planning.
• Engage the board and Resource Development Committee (RDC) as appropriate to effectively implement the annual fundraising plan.
• Work directly with the RDC chairperson and committee, staffing meetings and supporting the agenda of the chairperson as they work to meet the responsibilities and goals of the committee as outlined in their charter and in the strategic and development plans.
• Support and advise all Board members on their annual give/get pledges including their fundraising activities, individual giving, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and donor recognition.
• Oversee the Development Associate position including their responsibility to liaise with the Finance department and all 11 program sites regarding any needs associated with the development dept.
• Responsible for the integrity and accuracy of the Raiser’s Edge database. Track, analyze, and report fund raising progress.
• Ensure all donor records are accurate and current, gifts reconcile with finance records, and donor privacy and giving instructions are protected.
• Manage all aspects of gift acknowledgement and stewardship. Ensure donors are recognized and acknowledged appropriately and timely.
• Establish and ensure operating practices regarding but not limited to correspondence, gift processing, acknowledgements, and financial reporting.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Superior responsiveness and impeccable verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge and familiarity with Chicago philanthropic community highly desired.
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in related field. Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum of seven years of experience in nonprofit fundraising and marketing/public relations field, or equivalent experience with demonstrated accomplishments including a proven track record in achieving fundraising goals and experience in development and managing a diverse portfolio of support.
• Minimum of one year of supervisory experience required.
Skills and Qualifications
• Successful history of working with boards and event committees.
• Independent, results-focused, highly organized self-starter.
• Excellence in time management and prioritization skills.
• Strong analytical and organizational skills.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@family-focus.org