futures with promise
Ignite stands with youth on their journey to a home and a future with promise. We are a leading non-profit, human services organization dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty for youth. While Ignite has a long-standing history that dates back to 1976, we continue to innovate. Today, we have more than 45 full-time and part-time staff as well as over 100 volunteers who contribute to our mission – operating with a $4.2 million dollar annual budget, poised for growth. We are looking for a forward-thinking, values-driven leader dedicated to growing our mission.
Through housing, education, employment, career planning, financial empowerment, mental health support, and community connection, we help more than 350 youth per year get on the path to reaching their full potential. Following their time with Ignite, many of our youth achieve financial stability and move into their own long-term home. Ignite intends to be the last program our youth will ever need, but the family and place they can always call home.
At Ignite, we envision a world where all young people have the support they need to be defined by their potential, not their circumstances.
Position Title: Chief Administrative Officer
The Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), will oversee all aspects of the organization’s culture, administrative functions, human resources strategies, DEI initiatives, and finance. The CAO is a member of the Executive Team and works with the President and CEO to promote the sustainability, effectiveness, and impact of the organization. This leader will drive the organization towards operational excellence in alignment with Ignite’s strategic goals, mission and values. This position helps lead Ignite’s staff experience and is committed to Ignite’s vision of being a mission-centered organization.
Human Resources, Culture and Administration
• Create talent and learning development strategy that prioritizes professional development, retention, and advancement. Elevate opportunities for staff to build competencies around supervision, financial management, project management and other key functions.
• Lead a diverse team of stakeholders, including staff and board members, in guiding long-term culture and staffing priorities.
• Develop opportunities for staff-wide trainings.
• Working with the CEO and Board of Directors, advance Ignite’s efforts to develop and execute an employee value proposition that is centered around Ignite’s values, commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and mission.
• Ensure all aspects of the employee experience and Ignite’s brand exemplify the values of Ignite.
• Oversee salary and benefits benchmarking to ensure the organization continues to offer competitive compensation to attract talent. Continually review HR/organizational systems to achieve goals and promote staff retention.
• Oversee implementation of staff recruitment, hiring, onboarding, performance management, and off-boarding. Establish internal flows of information and feedback loops so staff are connected and heard.
• Oversee the administration of payroll, employee benefits, organizational insurance, and compliance with employment law. Responsible for formulating Ignite’s personnel policies.
• Maintain effective and efficient internal controls to safeguard assets and minimize financial risk.
• Develop, propose, and implement a collaborative, transparent system to establish and review organizational priorities; and to monitor and evaluate progress against them. The system will weave in Equity, Diversity, Inclusion principles.
• Oversee all risk management and legal activities and engage counsel as needed. Design contracting process and review all contracts with outside parties prior to their execution. Ensure that all required legal filings are submitted accurately and on time.
• Work closely with the VP of Finance and Technology to ensure the design of a mission-driven budget, effectively communicating budget priorities and processes to diverse stakeholders, including the Board of Directors and staff.
• Work closely with the VP of Finance and Technology to ensure preparation of monthly and quarterly financial reports that effectively show results, projections and Ignite’s financial outlook.
• Ensure effective processing of revenue, payables, and receivables. Design and implement efficient protocols for the submission and payment of expenses and invoices. Evaluate appropriate staffing and contracting structure to perform these duties on an ongoing basis and to minimize financial risk.
• Oversee audit preparation, including interactions with auditors, preparing audit schedules, and timely completion of audited financial statements and 990.
• Oversee, in collaboration with the CPO, receipt of all private and public funding, necessary public audits and other duties as necessary.
Operations and Technology
• Oversee or directly lead the management and coordination of logistics for in-person staff meetings, events, trainings, and other staff development activities as planned. Negotiate and manage contracts for event coordination and meeting facility space.
• Oversee and assess information management systems and technology, and implement necessary system improvements (e.g., project management tools, file sharing, CRM database).
• Oversee all agency facilities, capital expenditures, proactive maintenance programs and systems and assets.
• Develop a strategic plan to ensure operations and technology expenses are integrated to financial planning.
• Vision: Sets direction, builds an inspiring vision, and enlists employees and colleagues with a strategy to meet the organization’s needs.
• Influence: Gets people on board with ideas, focusing their energy in the right direction, and keeps them inspired to continue even when things get hard.
• Consciousness: Awareness and presence in one’s ability to get things done in the face of challenges or adversity.
• Equity: Makes sure rules, policies, practices, and legal requirements are implemented to serve the diverse needs of staff.
• Culture: Creates a culture of inclusion by fostering, supporting, and driving collaboration, training and planning within the organization.
Required Education and Experience
• An advanced degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience or industry recognized credential preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience and a track record of developing and monitoring systems to manage operational and business functions, working on fund development, leading diversity initiatives – preferably in a nonprofit setting.
• Executive or senior leadership experience required.
• Experience with developing financial statements and managing fiscal systems required.
• Commitment to equity and workplace culture.
• Models Ignite’s leadership competencies of resiliency, kindness, initiative, results driven; and prioritizes diversity, inclusivity, strategic thinking and change-leadership.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Sound judgement and strong discretion in handling sensitive and personal information.
• Superior interpersonal skills and ability to project professional competence, leadership capability, and personal maturity.
• Ability to present in a convincing and professional manner and to inspire and generate enthusiasm among donors, volunteers, staff, and stakeholders.
• Demonstrated capacity to work as a member of an ambitious and successful management team.
Ignite is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate based on actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Our management team is dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring,
placement, promotion, transfer, training, compensation, benefits, employee activities and general treatment during employment.
Reporting Relationship: Chief Executive Officer
Classification Status: Exempt
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org