Lyric Opera of Chicago
REPORTS TO: Assistant Controller, Finance
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
Through artistic excellence coupled with innovative, relevant programming; initiatives to connect with and grow new audiences; engagement with communities to ignite creativity across Chicago; and a modernized Opera House that is the setting for truly great experiences, Lyric is leading the advancement of opera. This collaborative vision will deliver ever more exciting, thought-provoking, and inclusive audience and community experiences – while increasing the gravitational pull of our art form, our company, and our city.
Under the direction of the Assistant Controller, the Senior Accountant is a key contributor to the financial operations of Lyric by performing high-level accounting functions with a high degree of integrity, reliability, and consistency.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate leadership in alignment with Lyric’s mission and vision.
- Ensure the organization’s financial accounting and reporting activities; provide technical assistance to internal users.
- Perform periodic evaluation of internal controls and recommend improvements; investigate and implement initiatives designed to improve efficiency and quality within the department.
- Be a key contributor to the financial statement interim and annual audit.
- Reconcile contribution revenue activity and fixed asset activity and prepare related journal entries in the general ledger, ensuring transactions are appropriately recorded per company policies and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).
- Record lease activity in accordance with the FASB lease accounting standard.
- Interpret, apply, and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to Lyric staff.
- Assist the Assistant Controller in other projects as needed.
- Responsible for staying up to date on applicable FASB regulatory requirements for non-profit financial reporting.
- Contribute to the overall success of Lyric by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required.
- Licensed or registered CPA designation preferred, auditing and not-for-profit experience preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of accounting principles and generally accepted accounting practices.
- Five plus years of professional accounting experience with mid-sized organizations required.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel required.
- Proactive problem-solver capable of identifying issues and implementing solutions.
- Demonstrated success in financial process implementation or continuous improvement.
- Ability to multitask and manage shifting priorities and deadlines, with attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a diverse group of colleagues and at all levels of the organization.
- Positive, energetic, self-motivated.
- Ability to work some evenings or weekends during busy periods.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Sitting for extended periods.
- Ability to perform essential functions of the job with or without accommodations.
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Salary is $80,000-90,000
Lyric Opera offers benefits including health, dental, vision, 403B (no company match), 401(k) with company match, PTO (including sick, vacation, and personal days, and holidays), life/AD&D coverage, opportunities for professional development, and complimentary tickets.
The Lyric Opera of Chicago is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Lyric does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
To apply for this job please visit lyricopera.applytojob.com.