Website Morten Group
Paul M. Angell Family Foundation
Director of Social Impact
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
The mission of the Paul M. Angell Family Foundation (PMAFF) is to advance society through the performing arts, conservation of the world’s oceans, and the prevention and alleviation of poverty. The PMAFF is entering a time of significant growth and change, with larger grantmaking portfolios and a vibrant team.
Please visit pmangellfamfound.org/about-us for more information.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The mission of the PMAFF’s Chicago grantmaking in Social Impact is to promote equitable, safe, and thriving communities, particularly for ALAANA (African, Latino/a, Asian, Arab, and Native American) people living in historically disinvested communities. The Foundation’s grantmaking in Social Impact learns from and supports thoughtful and strategic changemakers. The Social Impact priority areas are Education, Economic Empowerment, and Justice.
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Social Impact will be responsible for positioning the program for significant growth in grantmaking and staffing. In their first year, they will take the lead role in evaluating the current Social Impact portfolio in order to advance growth and innovative programming in this area. They will lead and guide the strategies and action of the Social Impact work. To accomplish this, they will convene, facilitate, and synthesize information from a diverse range of disciplines and sources, develop and leverage collaborative relationships with partners, and supervise a team of staff to build on and expand the Social Impact portfolio. They will serve as a member of the leadership team, with two direct reports (Senior Program Officer and Program Officer), and will participate in the overall change management of the Foundation. This position will require significant interaction with the Managing Director, while also building upon their own leadership skills in leading the Social Impact priority areas.
This is a full-time, exempt, hybrid position located in Chicago, IL.
Leading and Shaping Programs (Approximately 50%)
● In 2023/2024, develop and lead the Foundation through a comprehensive evaluation of the Social Impact program; develop plans and goals for strategic growth through organizational capacity building, partnership expansion, and program development and/or funding priorities.
● Define outcomes of the Social Impact program and offer modifications of strategy in response to new knowledge and emerging needs.
● Develop knowledge to serve as content expert in the funding priority areas; learn from other leaders in the field, working with nonprofits, funders, advocates, and policy makers.
● Represent PMAFF on collaborations to help shape and widen the Foundation’s grantmaking.
● Evaluate the strengths, weaknesses, and overall effectiveness of various grantmaking philosophies and approaches.
● Partner with the board and staff to plan the strategic direction and growth of the entire Foundation.
● Keep abreast of current philanthropic trends, emerging issues, and best practices.
● Represent the Foundation at conferences, seminars, and forums.
Grants Management (Approximately 30%)
● Respond in a timely and respectful manner to inquiries from grantee partners and applicants.
● Evaluate applications for funding while managing a portfolio of grants; conduct site visits and meet with current and prospective applicants.
● Provide the board with thoughtful, well-reasoned funding recommendations and compelling, high-quality written documents. Attend and participate in board meetings and partner with staff on agenda items and materials.
● Communicate with and provide support to grantee partners to meet their goals and objectives; convene meetings with grantee partners and colleagues as needed.
● Work with the Grants Manager to ensure that grants data is accurate and complete and meets compliance standards.
People Management and Culture (Approximately 20%)
● Participate in cross-functional working groups, learning opportunities, and special projects to support foundation-wide learning and development goals, including those related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, and advancing an anti-racist organizational culture and practices.
● Integrate PMAFF priorities and strategies into workplans for the Social Impact team.
● Communicate and advocate for the needs of the Social Impact team to PMAFF management and the Board of Directors.
● Set and support high expectations that are clear for assigned staff through oversight and involvement in goal setting.
● Support the other members of a growing team to advance individual and collective team goals.
● Interview, hire, onboard, coach, and supervise assigned staff. Ensure that staff members have the resources to do their jobs and:
- Has a clear understanding of what is required of them to be successful.
- Receives support and useful supervision and guidance on a regular basis.
- Receives fair, constructive feedback on their work on a regular basis. Receives a performance assessment annually.
- Receives professional development and assistance they need to resolve issues or problems.
- Participates in the decisions in which they should be involved and feel empowered to make the decisions that are theirs to make.
- Is encouraged to collaborate with others engaged in the work.
- Stays abreast of current trends, emerging issues, policies, political landscape, influential leaders, and best practices.
●Participate in the hiring and onboarding for those under another team member’s supervision.
● Ensure that HR forms and personnel records are properly kept for assigned staff.
● Actively participate in required staff and Board meetings and partner with staff on agenda items and materials.
● Participate in educational opportunities and professional networks.
● Protect the organization by keeping its information confidential.
● Participate in the development and oversight of the Social Impact budget.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Be available during normal working hours, 9 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday; evening and weekend work needs may occur occasionally with proper notice.
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and use hands to operate equipment such as computers, phones,
photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets. Reasonable accommodation will enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
● Be a visionary thinker.
●Communicates with and works effectively with diverse constituencies, personalities, and viewpoints.
● Exhibits awareness of and continuously addresses one’s own privileges, biases, and cultural preferences and how they impact their work and relationships.
● Dedicated to an organizational-wide culture of learning.
● Skilled at advancing change with the Social Impact portfolio and the organization.
● Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage heavy workloads under deadlines.
● Excellent writing and analytic skills, including the ability to assess and synthesize complex information and briefly summarize the essence of issues and means to address them.
● Ability to move effectively between big picture and meticulous work required by the position.
● Able to thrive in a rapidly growing organization; achieves goals while dealing with uncertainty and growing pains.
MINIMUM HIRING SPECIFICATIONS
● BA or higher preferred, or equivalent work and life experience.
● Minimum of 12 years of related experience in the nonprofit or philanthropic sectors.
● Expertise and external leadership in one or more of the foundation’s priority areas (Education, Economic Empowerment, and Justice).
● Previous experience in:
- analyzing complex problems;
- leading evaluations, evaluating strengths, weaknesses and overall effectiveness of approaches to complex issues; designing programs and developing objectives and work plans;
- developing financial reports and developing and managing a budget; and
- hiring, supervising and coaching staff and building a strong team.
● Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office platforms (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and working in databases.
OUR DIVERSITY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY CORE VALUE
Paul M. Angell Family Foundation is committed to equal employment opportunity and to compliance with applicable local, state, and federal antidiscrimination laws which prohibit discrimination and harassment against any employees or applicants for employment based on their actual or perceived race, color, religion, age, ancestry, marital status, protective order status, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, work authorization status, pregnancy and the potential or intention to become pregnant, AIDS/HIV status, medical condition, status as a victim of domestic, sexual, gender or criminal violence, certain arrest or criminal history records, lack of a permanent mailing address or a mailing address that is a shelter or social services provider, and use of lawful products outside of work during non-working hours.
We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based upon these characteristics or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The position is a salaried, exempt, full-time position with a salary range of $145,000 to $175,000 annually, depending on professional and lived experience. Additionally, the Foundation offers a competitive benefits package, including but not limited to medical, vision, and dental insurance, PTO, and holidays.
Currently, the position will function within a hybrid working environment with alternating remote and on-site workdays and may have in-person obligations that grow over time within Chicagoland and beyond with possible travel outside Illinois for in-person meetings, conferences, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
The Foundation has retained Morten Group, LLC, to conduct this search. Applicants should complete the form available at https://bit.ly/pmaff-dosi, including the submission of a cover letter and resume in PDF format by the best consideration date of Friday, October 20, 2023. Cover letters will be evaluated as a writing sample.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.