Website Nourishing Hope
Food for Today. Hope for Tomorrow
Major Gifts Officer
Come work for a cause you can believe in – at an organization that will believe in you! Nourishing Hope is looking for a Major Gifts Officer.
Nourishing Hope, formerly known as Lakeview Pantry, is a dynamic Chicago nonprofit providing food, mental wellness counseling and other social services, such as job and housing assistance, to our neighbors in need. Founded in 1970, we strive to serve the needs of the whole person — with respect and dignity, always.
Long known as one of the largest and longest-operating food pantries in Chicago, Nourishing Hope has evolved to become more than a solely a hunger relief organization. We also provide social services, such as job and housing assistance, and free mental health counseling with a growing team of licensed therapists.
Nourishing Hope serves tens of thousands of people each year, providing more than 4 million meals through our programs, in addition to partnerships with other community organizations. This year, more than 5,000 low-income neighbors will also receive case management and social services.
Scope and Responsibilities
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) will work to support a multi-faceted annual giving and major gifts program for Nourishing Hope. This position will advance Nourishing Hope’s mission by expanding its focus on major gifts and planned giving.
The MGO will manage solicitation and stewardship plans for a portfolio of 150+ donor relationships over $5,000. In addition, this position will be a major contributor of the organization’s annual revenue goal specific to individual donor cultivation and retention. This person will work closely with the CEO, Chief Development Officer (CDO), Development team, and Board members, to ensure coordination among all individual giving programs.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with the Director of Donor and Volunteer Engagement and CDO to expand the major gifts program for annual donors contributing amounts greater than $5,000 per year.
- Manage a portfolio of 150+ assigned qualified relationships applying a solicitation plan for each donor/prospect.
- Use the moves management process to identify new prospects and deepen existing relationships with major donors.
- Assist with the coordination of Feed the Future growth campaign, as needed.
- Provide staff support for the CEO, CDO, and Director of Donor and Volunteer Engagement to ensure effective execution of their portfolios.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to engage the board and staff in soliciting and closing major gifts, including: determining ongoing relationships with prospect/donor; recommending specific purpose and level of gift; identifying those to be involved in cultivation and subsequent solicitation; assuring that solicitations are carried out; providing materials to support solicitations; and attending meetings with donors as appropriate.
- Work with the Director of Donor and Volunteer Engagement and CDO to create and manage Nourishing Hope’s first formal Planned Giving Program.
- Target a broader base of current donors interested in planned giving opportunities.
- Assist the Marketing & Communications Department in drafting all donor communications (emails, newsletters, direct mail letters, and/or annual reports).
- Oversee the execution of annual appeals.
- Work closely with the Development & Database Coordinator to pull and analyze reports and analysis to track and understand donor trends.
- Provide assistance with all fundraising events by preparing assignments for the Leadership Team, Development Team, and Development Committee members.
- Represent Nourishing Hope in donor meetings, community events and other opportunities throughout the year.
- Support donor cultivation and solicitation documentation through Salesforce pipeline, call notes and ticklers while generating thank you notes, follow-up letters and other communications as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 3 – 5 years individual giving experience.
- Thorough knowledge of development practices and experience with campaign fundraising, major gifts, and/or planned giving.
- Excellent writing, editing and oral skills with the ability to make dynamic group presentations.
- Experience with Google suite, Microsoft Office programs and use of relational databases such as Salesforce and online fundraising portals.
- High level of attention to detail and emotional intelligence.
- Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques.
- Demonstrated record of success in executing on an individual giving plan.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting and manage up accordingly.
- Strong planning skills, including the ability to anticipate tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines and function smoothly under strict deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with senior leadership, board members, consultants, colleagues and volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain successful interpersonal relationships with donors and constituents.
Nourishing Hope requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 including a booster (when eligible). Job offers are contingent upon proof of full vaccination or proof of medical/religious exemptions.
To apply for this job please visit nourishinghopechi.bamboohr.com.